4.08.2010

one day without shoes

once a year TOMS shoes encourages people around the world to take part in "one day without shoes," a day in which you kick off your heels, flip-flops, or flats and spread awareness for those who go every day without shoes. so i did just that, baring my feet for the day. at times it was liberating; there's something freeing about unfettering your feet. i loved feeling the warmth of the sidewalks and the squish of dampish grass. there are so many sensations that shoes prevent your feet from feeling. and feeling those feelings was what i enjoyed most about today. it also felt good to walk around with the knowledge of what my bare feet stood for. but to be honest, there were times that i found myself a bit self conscious, as some people looked at me with disdain rather than interest. at the beginning of the day, before the word got out and the shoelessness caught on, people were giving me glances that screamed, "ew. where are that girl's shoes?" and instead of asking me about my bare feet, they just walked on by, likely thinking i was some sort of unsanitary hippie. by the time someone stopped and asked, i was more than happy to finally share the purpose behind my day without shoes. but as glad as i was to spread awareness to others, it was my own awareness that really grew today. i mentioned before that today was liberating. but there were also times that it was hard. crossing the occasional unpaved road or path shoved sharp rocks in my uncalloused souls, and the hot asphault of the parking lots burned the bottoms of my feet. i couldn't help but imagine those who have to cross much more difficult terrain and travel much longer distances. my heart goes out to those people and their feet. and so i have gained a new understanding and a fresh sense of gratitude. i am so thankful for my heels, flip-flops, and flats. i am so thankful for this one day i spent without shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment